Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Looking at the World through a Straw

I focused on a smaller part of life,
ignoring the rest that gapes so wide.
A circle drawn on life material,
a hole cut in the world outside.
And through this shrunken view,
the shadows lighting up my eye,
I glimpsed through time to grasp
this bit of pain you keep inside.

Opposed to the open mind,
no breath of life for wandering eyes.
A little glimpse of loneliness,
a little taste of what is blind.
Perhaps I could have looked at
this small view of yours before,
and perhaps you’ve shown it too me
at a time, and shown me more.

So after all this time has passed,
all this time I’ve thrown away,
all the chances I could get to know you,
all the chance to let you be,
your light has been extinguished
through this telescopic view of mine;
and burned out from too-bright hope that never
found a means to share a life.

I apologize; my choice has led
its way to your demise.
But choice was choice and I forsook
the higher path of staying kind.
Yet I’m sorry that I looked at all
the face around your eyes,
and missed that little glimpse of pain
you’ve always kept inside.

--for Many

No comments: